This blog Part-2 will explore key parameters, business requirement & benefits of efficient slotting of a two-part series, the earlier Part-1 provided insight into the importance of slotting in a globalized marketplace.
Manufacturers and distributors face different challenges within their warehouse on a day-to-day basis and to mitigate these challenges, slotting helps. One-size fits all does not work in a typical warehouse setting. Every challenge has a different solution and different slotting types comes to the rescue. Let us explore the business requirement of a warehouse to function efficiently.
Inbound Slotting implementation consists of the following components:
1. Inbound slotting process is carried out before the unloading process of the delivered products to the warehouse.
2. Inbound slotting process checks for each delivered product whether a fixed bin is already determined or not.
3. The process runs only for the products which do not have a fixed bin assigned to them i.e. slotting runs only for new items
4. Next, the slotting process checks the product group and determines the PACI process
5. All the storage bin and the respective bin types are checked to map the most preferred bin type for the product, based on the dimension and recommended quantity
6. The system then determines the storage section based on the condition technique configured
7. Slotting process then determines optimum bin as fixed bin and updates all “product warehouse data view & storage views ” and “fix bin details”.
8. In case of failure, the system generates an appropriate error message.
9. The system then updates all the success/failure details for each delivered item on the Monitor.
10. Inbound TU activation checks the slotting status to be completed for the assigned deliveries.
The system displays success and error message for each product at an item level along with a log in the following format:
During putaway of the large volume of goods in the warehouse, the system needs to determine optimal bin, which can make the putaway process much easier and faster before the goods arrive into the warehouse. Once Inbound is created for the goods putaway (putaway indicator is determined for goods before the truck is docked in the warehouse using slotting).
This will help the Warehouse operator to perform the movements of goods quickly and accurately to a specific destination.
Benefits of Slotting:
Slotting in a warehouse can help you in the following major ways:
- Determination of ideal location for stock put away
- Optimal positioning of pallets
- Reduced travel time during product picking/retrieval operation
- Stock re-arrangement based on the nature of product demand
- Optimal usage of available warehouse space
How Krypt can help you?
If you are an established business looking to improve your existing warehouse management or a new venture planning to set up a warehouse management system, look no further. Krypt, as a leading SAP EWM partner can help you streamline your existing warehouse to mitigate inefficiencies through optimal space utilization, determination of ideal location for stock putaway, improve cost & labour efficiency and most importantly optimize space utilization along with an improved bottom line.
If you wish to know more about Krypt offerings or have a demo, please contact us.
And, in case you have earlier missed out the on-demand webinar for SAP EWM Shipping Cockpit for Outbound Process watch it here.