Data Migration in SAP
One may ask, why is data migration important?
Data migration has an important role in dealing with data that links the customer’s master data and transactional data. Data migration mainly brings the data from one computer storage system or file format to another. It is part of system implementation, upgrade, or consolidation projects. Data migration usually happens programmatically to reduce human efforts. Various tools used in SAP for data migration like LSMW, BDC, BODS are useful to bring data from the legacy systems. But S/4HANA introduces a tool, S/4HANA Migration Cockpit or LTMC (Legacy Transfer Migration Cockpit), which is user-friendly and easy to migrate data for customers and does not require any programming.
S4 HANA Migration Cockpit
The SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit uses migration objects to identify and transfer the relevant data. A migration object describes how to migrate data for a specific business object to SAP S/4HANA. It contains information about the relevant source and target structures and the relationships between these structures. It also contains mapping information for the relevant fields and any rules used to convert values migrated from source fields to target fields. SAP provides predefined migration objects that you can use to transfer your data.
You can access the SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit by using transaction LTMC.
Key Features and benefits of LTMC or S/4HANA Migration Cockpit
- The Migration cockpit is available for both S/4 HANA Cloud and On-premise from the 1610 version onwards. Earlier it was only for the Cloud system.
- There are pre-configured content and mapping for each migration object, e.g., Material Master.
- Migration objects contain all best-practice migration objects-Master data and Transaction data.
- Automated mapping between Source and Target structure. No programming skill is required, so easy to use for Customers.
- XML or Excel-based templates are provided for each migration object to fill and proceed with the migration, progressing with standard SAP APIs.
- The tool has a different approach to data migration. Apart from files, migration data can be transferred from staging tables (HANA DB) and SAP ERP systems as a source system (version 1909).
- The detailed validation process suggests the action to perform for error handling in data migration which ensures the data accuracy, important for Customers.
- The tool is flexible and extendable for custom projects and enhancements (e.g., custom objects) into the migration project.
How can Krypt help you?
Krypt is a ‘one-stop shop’ for supply chain & global trade solutions with a global footprint. Our in-house solutions and pre-packed solutions for SAP TM, SAP IBP, SAP EWM, and SAP GTS, are an outcome of our long-term innovation, technology know-how, and sustained customer engagement across 35 countries.
Our team of SAP TM experts can help you with a rapid & cost-effective integration/implementation of SAP TM and data migration to S/4HANA. If you wish to know more, please request a free demo or contact us.
Follow us on:
Image Credit: Pixabay